Look at your cooling system like you would your car…your car won’t run well without regular oil changes and clean oil filters. So, if you neglect the filter of your AC system, then it won’t work efficiently and eventually cause system failure.
As a premier air conditioning company serving the Philadelphia region, we know that air filters should be changed every month, especially in the summer when you use your air conditioning unit the most.
In addition, you should also consider changing it monthly if you have any of the following (as these increase the amount of pollutants that can affect your home’s indoor air):
- Have pets (pet dander)
- Family members who have allergies, asthma, or smoke
- Live on a ranch or farm
- Have construction that occurs around the home
Changing a dirty air filter is very important because they:
- Are the leading cause for failure of AC unit. A clogged filter reduces air flow thus causing your system to work harder
- Contribute to higher energy consumption. Restricting air flow causes the fan motor to work harder and use more energy resulting in higher energy bills
- Reduce indoor air quality which almost always aggravates asthma and allergy symptoms
- Contribute to dirty ducts which can also damage your AC system prematurely
Ultimately, regularly changing an air filter in your air conditioning unit is essential not only for the continued efficiency of your system, but also for maintaining indoor quality and the longevity of your system. Last, but not least, a fresh air filter also keeps all occupants happy and healthy!
According to the EnergyStar, a division of the EPA, dirt and neglect are the top causes of cooling system inefficiency and failure. Changing the air filter on your air conditioning system is the least expensive thing you can do to maintain your cooling system. If you need help with changing a filter, just reach out to our team. To schedule air conditioning service for your home in South Jersey, please don’t hesitate to give us Hutchinson a call at 866-953-872, or fill out a contact form on our website.