Tankless water heaters, also known as on-demand water heaters, are very popular with forward-thinking homeowners, and for a good reason. Although tankless water heaters have the potential to be a significant investment, it may not be the right choice for everyone’s needs. At Hutchinson, the leading heating repair company near Philadelphia, we recommend both homeowners or soon-to-be homeowners, to take a look at some of the pros and cons when you’re considering tankless water heater installation.
Pros of Installing a Tankless Water Heater:
- Increased energy efficiency, which will potentially lower operating costs than traditional water heaters.
- Eco-friendly, as a tankless water heater uses less power to heat water.
- Longer lifespan and included warranty versus a traditional storage water heater.
- Unlimited amounts of hot water.
- Increased property value, since sellers can typically ask for higher prices when putting their homes on the market (since the buyer will experience lowered utility bills.)
- Less space required, ideal for smaller homes.
- Reduced risk of water damage, due to a lack of water storage.
Cons of a Tankless Water Heater:
- Expensive initial costs (installation and unit purchase)
- Homes may not be ready to support a tankless water heater and may require costly rewiring.
- The possibility of not fully paying for themselves before their active working life is over.
- Models with electric components will not be able to provide any hot water during power outages (although tank-equipped electric heaters will contain an initial reserve).
- Limited to the amounts of hot water available at any given time, since they can only handle a few gallons at once.
- Homeowners may experience slight delays in hot water flow.
Are you still unsure if a tankless water heater is the right choice for your home? Hutchinson is here to help! If you’re in the South Jersey or Philadelphia area, give us a call today at 866-953-8728 or click here to schedule a consultation. No task is too big or small for our heating repair and installation technicians near Bucks County, PA. We’re here for you 24/7 and can’t wait to get you on your way to a happier, warmer home!