The start of April marks the beginning of spring and the end of a long and frigid winter for most homeowners in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. However, the start of this new season offers another opportunity to help to lower your utility bills, increase your home’s comfort, and prepare for a long and brutally hot summer.
Use Windows to Your Advantage
- Open windows on opposite sides of your home to create a nice cross-breeze. This breeze can cool your home without having to use your air conditioner.
- When the temperature cools off at night, turn off your AC and open your windows. When you wake in the morning, shut the windows and blinds to trap the cool air.
- Install window coverings, or window treatments, to prevent heat gain through your windows. If you can see light shining on your floor, then there is likely heat entering your home with the light.
Don’t Heat Your Home
- On hotter days, try to avoid using your home’s stove or oven to cook. This will only add more heat to your home. Try to use the microwave or use an outdoor grill.
- When possible, use natural light. Standard light bulbs only use about 10% of their energy on creating light, the rest creates heat. Consider CFL or LED lightbulbs. For natural light, focus on windows on the North and East sides of your home.
- Washing machines, dish washers, and dryers all create a lot of heat when running. Try your best to minimize their use, and only run when you have full loads. Additionally, consider using these devices earlier or later in the day, when it is naturally cooler out.
- Showers and baths will also introduce a lot of heat and humidity. Try to minimize the length of your showers and eliminate baths.
Protect Your Home from the Environment
- Seal air leaks around your home. Use caulk or expanding spray foam to seal holes made to run electrical wire or plumbing pipes.
- Seal air leaks – use weather stripping around windows and doors to lessen the leaks
- Add another layer of insulation to the attic. Current recommendations for attic insulation are approximately 16”. This extra insulation will help to keep the temperature down on upper floors.
Hutchinson Plumbing Heating Cooling Energy Services is a leading provider of New Jersey’s Home Performance with Energy Star Program (http://www.njcleanenergy.com/hp), and our complimentary audits can help homeowners in New Jersey identify ways to lower their utility bills by up to 30%. With cash rebates and no interest financing incentives available, upgrading your home’s efficiency and comfort has never been easier or cheaper! Call us today to learn more!