Every year during the spring, creatures big and small wake from their winter hibernations and find themselves drastically unprepared for the season; homeowners in Philadelphia and New Jersey are no different. Unfortunately, few of us have the time to think of how the winter chill could have affected our home’s plumbing system. However, don’t fear, Hutchinson Plumbing Heating Cooling is here to help you make sure your home is ready with a few helpful hints:
- Check your gutters and downspouts.
- Leaves can continue to fall throughout the Autumn and Winter, clogging not only your gutters but also your downspouts. To prevent any issues, make sure yard drains, gutters, and downspouts are cleaned out, open, and free of all debris. This can help to prevent excessive water going to the sump pump or flooding your basement this spring.
- Check your sump pump.
- Now that your gutters are clear, make sure your sump pump operates properly by pouring a bucket of water into the sump pit. The pump should turn on quickly, discharge the water, and then shut off without any problems.
- Do you have a backup system to protect you in case the pump breaks or the power goes off? Ask Hutchinson’s Plumbers about LIBERTY SUMP JET, which uses water pressure and not electricity to drain your sump pump.
- Check your hose-bibs.
- Around the exterior of your home are the faucets you use all summer for your lawn, your pressure washer, car wash, and fun for your kids—these are called “hose-bibs.” During the winter, your hose-bibs are subject to extreme temperatures which can cause a surprise the first time you wish to use them. Take the time now to check for leaks, both inside and outside of the home, to ensure no hidden leaks are waiting to surprise you this year!
- Kitchen Inspection & Bathroom Cleaning.
- While you are cleaning out the kitchen; in cabinets, under the sinks, behind the fridge, consider checking behind the stove. Visually inspect the gas line: it should be free of any kinks, corrosion or deterioration, or leaks (odor is described as rotten eggs.)
- To quickly clean your showerheads: place a Gallon sized Ziploc® bag, filled with white vinegar, over the showerhead and secure it with rubber bands. Let is sit for 24 hours to remove the calcium deposits in the head.
- Operate all toilets, faucets, and drains to ensure there are no hidden leaks waiting to surprise you this year!
- Drain Inspection & Cleaning
- Your garden is not the only thing growing this year. Every year, growing tree roots cause substantial damage to thousands of homes’ sewer lines. Don’t let yours be one of them! Trust Hutchinson’s Plumbers and drain cleaning experts that serve Camden County and other areas, to make sure your sewer won’t make a mess of your home this year.
Hutchinson Plumbing Heating and Cooling has been Camden County’s premier plumbing contractor since 1948. Find out why and schedule your appointment now by calling 866-953-8728.