Summer weather has arrived which means you’ll want to crank up the AC for quick heat relief. Now is a good time to consider saving energy so that you can avoid the shock of “out of the roof” utility bills. After all, the last thing you want to do is postpone or even cancel your family’s summer vacation because your utility bill just sucked your wallet dry!
So, how can you save energy this summer?
Well, here are several ways to keep your home cool when the weather is warm without wreaking havoc on your electric bill.
- Set your thermostat as high as you can without feeling uncomfortable – 78 degrees is generally recommended. When you leave on vacation, keep your house a little warmer than normal to avoid a spike in your bill
- Make sure your AC system is tuned up, clean, and replace dirty filters for efficient operation
- Keep blinds and windows closed during the day and open at night
- Window, ceiling, and whole-house fans are low-cost ways to stay comfortable. What’s more, remember to turn off ceiling fans when you leave the room
- Minimize indoor heat by washing full loads in your dryer and dishwasher at night on hot days. Also, wash clothes in cold water
- Avoid placing lamps or other appliances near your thermostat. In addition, avoid using the oven – instead, use the stove top, microwave, or grill outside
- Set your water heater to 120 degrees
- Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use
- Keep hot air from leaking into your home by sealing cracks, adding caulk, or weatherstripping to seal leaky doors and windows
- Take short showers instead of baths
- If you have a pool, try to reduce pool filtration time by 30 minutes daily as long as the water appears clean
Just by implementing some of the simple and inexpensive tips above, you can save energy and money during those warm summer months.
To learn even more about how you can save money this summer, give us a call here at Hutchinson Plumbing Heating Cooling Energy Services. We offer energy audits that give all homeowners the chance to learn about how they can save. To schedule an audit, please give us a call at 866-953-8728.