There’s never a better time to kick off spring cleaning than during the start of the season! While you’re cleaning out the closets, scrubbing the floors, and purging your home of excess stuff, don’t forget about the plumbing fixtures that keep your home in tip-top shape. After a long winter’s use, it could use a little TLC and “freshening up” as much as the rest of your home.
We here at Hutchinson would like to offer these maintenance tips for homeowners to help protect themselves against plumbing problems this season. Making this type of annual maintenance a habit will also help your plumbing fixtures and system to perform more effectively and last longer!
- Clear your gutters, vent pipes, and downspouts on your roof.
- Inspect all exposed and interior pipes (or have a plumber inspect them) for leaks, damage, or anything unusual.
- Check your outdoor hose bibs for damage or leaks, and replace them if needed. If leaks continue after the bib or spout is replaced, you may have had a frozen pipe that cracked and needs repairing.
- Purchase a drain cleaner to clear build-up from kitchen and bathroom drains. If you notice you have a “frequent clogger,” call a professional to snake it.
- Clean the traps beneath your bathroom, kitchen, and laundry sinks.
- Install mesh strainers in all of your drains to prevent hair and debris from going down the drain and causing clogs.
- Do an all-around inspection on your water heater, and if you notice or hear anything unusual, call a professional.
- Clear out mineral build-up from faucets and shower heads. Replace and clear out faucet aerators if needed.
- Inspect the water supply lines to your faucets, washing machines, toilets, and other appliances or fixtures with water pipes. If you see bulges, leaks, or tears, it’s essential to replace the lines.
- Clean out your washing machine lint trap.
- Give your garbage disposal a thorough cleaning and repair if needed.
If you found any problems while you were performing your plumbing spring cleaning tasks, don’t panic, we’ve got your back!
Hutchinson is ready and willing to do whatever it takes to make sure your plumbing system lasts through the spring and beyond. Just give us a call 866-953-8728, and we’ll take care of your needs.