warmer air as you begin your spring cleaning. In fact, there is no better time of year to check on your plumbing than after a cold winter when the ground begins to thaw.
With the arrival of the new season, you should consider these tips to save yourself from needing plumbing repair in Camden County this spring:
- Check your sump pump. Many basements flood as a result of snow melting. Also, with heavy rains in April, it pays to check that your basement is ready to handle the incoming water. To ensure your system is working properly, pour a bucket of water in the pit to activate the switch. You will want to clear the line of any leaves or debris. In addition, using a vinegar mixture through the pump can help eliminate any mold or mildew that may have built up over the winter.
- Check your basement pipes. Make sure any exposed pipes in the basement, under sinks, or outside, are free from cracks or damage from freezing. A leak in the basement can easily go unnoticed and cause hundreds to thousands of dollars in damage to your home.
- Check your faucets. Look for any drips or leaks that may need repairs. Make sure all drains are clean and not clogged. Inspect the toilet and tank for any hidden leaks or cracks and make sure your toilet is not running, which could run up your water bill.
- Check your water heater. The temperature should be set no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit or you will notice higher utility costs. Also, consider replacing it if it is over 15 years old or you run the risk of it breaking down when you need it most.
- Check out your appliances. Look for any leaks around your dishwasher, washing machine, and ice maker to prevent costly damage to your appliances.
- Install flood alarms. Just like a smoke alarm, a flood alarm will sound when it meets water. This can help avoid the potential for flooding and save you the costs of damages to your home and belongings.
- Check your water pressure. If you’re experiencing low water pressure, this could be the sign of a water leak. A water leak you do not see is one that can cost you the most money. It is best to get it checked out before it does irreversible damage.
If you need help making sure your plumbing system is ready for spring, call Hutchinson Plumbing Heating Cooling Energy Services for excellent plumbing service in Camden County. When it comes to your plumbing, it is always best to be proactive. Save yourself money and heartache that comes from an inconvenient plumbing issue and check your plumbing today. You’ll be glad you did!